A highly motivated, experienced Software Engineer with proven skills in full-stack and mobile development.
- Java, Ruby, C#
- Servlets, JSP, JSTL, Spring
- Ruby on Rails
- Oracle SQL, MySQL
- iOS Development
- Core Animation, Core Graphics
- RubyMotion, Xamarin.iOS
- AWS, Unix/Linux, Bash
- Git, SVN
- Object Oriented Design
- Software Development Lifecycle
Fast Yeti, Inc. - Chief Architect, Lead Software Engineer
January 2014 - Present
Responsible for the end-to-end design of the technology stack for a startup and lead engineer on the team that develops and maintains it.
- Developed VetsHQ.com, basically TurboTax for the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), using Ruby on Rails. Hosted VetsHQ on AWS using services such as EC2, RDS, CloudFront, ElastiCache, S3, VPC, and Route 53.
- Achieved zero downtime deploys with custom Capistrano script using AWS SDK for Ruby.
- Enhanced scalability by focusing on performance tuning and metrics using tools such as New Relic, JMeter, Memcached, Redis, and CDNs. Implemented auto scaling using launch scripts, custom Amazon Machine Images (AMIs), and CloudWatch metrics.
- Streamlined data collection by building a custom data driven questionnaire framework which directs veterans to answer the minimal set of questions possible for VA benefit eligibility determination and population of proof documents based on answers to previous questions.
- Designed and developed a custom framework to extract information collected from questionnaires, populate PDF forms using PDFTK, and group forms into ready-to-go packages for applying for VA benefits.
- Developed Snap214 iOS app using RubyMotion. The app utilizes Computer Vision and Optical Character Recognition to extract information from an image of a veteran's military separation documents and give them an eligibility determination for VA benefits. Patent pending for novel approach to image processing layout analysis using recursive line detection that takes advantage of the nested table structure common in government forms. See it on iTunes.
Avue Technologies - Chief Innovation Officer
June 2012 - January 2014
Primarily continued in the role of Senior Software Engineer while taking on several side projects to inject new tools and technologies into the development process.
- Developed and maintained mission critical software systems serving thousands of users for the White House, United States Capitol Police, Department of Justice, and United States Forest Service.
- Migrated from CVS to Git including fifteen years of code history. Designed a branching strategy that better fit our unique code promotion process. Coached coworkers on how to best take advantage of the new version control system, increasing their productivity.
- Enhanced communication, visibility, and scheduling across all development efforts by migrating from multiple legacy ticketing systems to a unified setup in Jira. Designed Jira workflows to fit our change request, development, and QA processes.
- Adopted continuous integration to automatically build and test after every commit. This helped catch performance and reliability issues early, increasing the reliability of our production releases and decreasing context switching within the development team.
Avue Technologies - Technical Lead, Mobile Applications
June 2011 - June 2012
Lead the development of several enterprise iOS applications and related tools.
- Developed a JAX-RS REST API with Jersey and Jackson to facilitate communication and data exchange between our existing J2EE applications and iOS applications.
- Designed interactive graphics and visualizations using Apple's Core Graphics and Core Animation frameworks and 3D visualizations using OpenGL ES.
- Developed Business Intelligence apps for the United States Forest Service and Personnel Force Innovation (Department of Defense) using C# and Xamarin.iOS.
- Optimized storage requirements and on-device rendering speeds for location-based reports by several orders of magnitude by developing parsers for several binary formats and a compression tool for ESRI Shapefiles. Adapted the Douglas-Peucker path compression algorithm to work on closed polygon meshes.
Avue Technologies - Software Engineer
November 2008 - June 2011
Worked on many individual and team projects developing J2EE applications. Focus was on developing core components and frameworks to be used across application modules.
- Developed an integration with the Office of Workers' Compensation Programs (OWCP) using Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) to exchange claims information.
- Enhanced data access layer by creating an annotation based Java persistence framework. The framework was built directly on top of JDBC and used reflection, code generation, caching, and batch operations for more simplified, consistent, performant, and maintainable data access.
B.S., Computing and Software Systems
University of Washington
Associate of Arts
Pierce Community College
High School Diploma
Emerald Ridge High School